COVID-19 in numbers:
- Funds raised in 12 days by Dharma Relief—a coalition of Buddhist traditions dedicated to providing emergency support—to supply FDA-approved surgical masks to US hospitals: $507,342.67
- Increase in weekly downloads of meditation apps like Calm, Headspace, and Ten Percent Happier in March, as compared to January and February: 25%
- Coronavirus-related hate crimes reported against people of Asian backgrounds in New York City: 16
- Number of respirators donated to hospitals in the US by the Buddhist Tzu Chi Foundation: 5,132
- Number of registrants for Tricycle’s free livestreamed meditation sessions: 25,269
View past installments of Buddhism by the Numbers: The Economics of Mindfulness, Hawaii, California, Virginia, Kentucky, South Korea, and the African Great Lakes Region.
Data from Tzu Chi USA, Dharma Relief, the Wall Street Journal, and the Washington Post, as of July 10, 2020.