Many of us are experiencing heightened anxiety during the global coronavirus crisis. In response, Tricycle is offering free access to our Meditation Month 2020 archive, which includes a four-part guided meditation series and a variety of helpful articles to support your practice. If you are able to, please help support this offering with a donation. Thank you!
Welcome back for week two of Tricycle Meditation Month, our annual challenge to sit all 31 days of March.
If you’re just joining us, our Meditation Month teacher, Sebene Selassie is leading a series of four free guided meditation videos. Sebene is an Insight Meditation teacher and a writer who has been studying Buddhism for the past 30 years. Each Sunday, we’re releasing a new video, which builds on the previous week’s lesson.
This week, Sebene recaps her first video and guides us in a meditation on the element of water—noticing the things that are fluid and transmutable in our experience. When we connect with the four elements in this way, we start to realize that any phenomena in our experience provide a doorway into understanding our inherent interconnection with nature and with others.
Our culture tends to privilege the “mind” in mindfulness, but Sebene invites us to be in our bodies and pay attention to the sensations, sounds, or thoughts that come up for us during our practice.
Mark your calendar:
- Join Sebene for a live call on Wednesday, March 11 at 12:00 p.m. EST on Zoom, where she will be available to answer any questions you have about your practice.
More meditation material to support your practice:
- We start off Meditation Month by tackling the biggest impediment to practice—finding the motivation to actually sit.
- How to attend to our emotional pain in the same way we attend to sensations in the body.
- A Tibetan lama answers your most pressing meditation FAQs.
This week’s Meditation Month articles:
- “Tips for the Procrastinator Practitioner” by Lama Palden Drolma
- “Defining Mindfulness” by Sharon Salzberg
- “How to Meditate While Raising Kids” by Sumi Loundon Kim
- “How to Stay Calm in a Raging World” by Mindy Newman
- “How to Create a Mini-Retreat at Home” by Chris McKenna
- “Meditating While Thinking” by Sayadaw U Tejaniya
See all our Meditation Month offerings here.
Start your day with a fresh perspective
Thank you for subscribing to Tricycle! As a nonprofit, we depend on readers like you to keep Buddhist teachings and practices widely available.