Buddhism in New York State
- Distance (from Little Falls to Fonda) that the Japanese Buddhist nun Jun-San Yasuda walked in November 2020 to remember the suffering of indigenous people caused by European settlers: 36 miles
- Size of New York’s largest meditation space, Blue Cliff Monastery’s Great Togetherness Meditation Hall, located in Pine Bush: 9,000 sq. ft.
- Height of the tallest Buddha statue in the Western Hemisphere, located at Chuang Yen Monastery in Carmel, New York: 37 ft.
- Year the Rochester Zen Center, one of the oldest Zen centers in the US, was founded: 1966
- Number of centers located in New York City alone: 79
- Number of Tricycle subscribers: 2,166
View past installments of Buddhism by the Numbers: Climate Change and Pilgrimage Sites, COVID-19, The Economics of Mindfulness, Armenia, Hawaii, California, Virginia, Kentucky, South Korea, and the African Great Lakes Region.
Data from the Pew Research Center, BuddhaNet’s World Buddhist Directory, Atlas Obscura, Rochester Zen Center, correspondence with Blue Cliff Monastery, and Buddhistdoor Global