Buddhism in Hawaii:
- Number of Buddhist centers: 71
- Portion of the population that identifies as Buddhist: 8%
- Number of students enrolled at Pacific Buddhist Academy, a college preparatory high school in Honolulu: 68
- Year of establishment of the first Buddhist temple in the Hawaiian Islands by Rev. Soryu Kagahi, a Japanese Jodo Shinshu priest: 1889
- Approximate number of elderly and disabled people currently served by Project Dana, a statewide home visit and transportation program started by the Moiliili Hongwanji Mission temple: 1,000
- Weight of a sacred bronze bell (bon-sho) that hangs in the Bell House of the Byodo-In Temple at the Valley of the Temples Memorial Park in Kaneohe, Oahu Island: 3 tons
- Number of Tricycle subscribers: 153
Data from BuddhaNet’s World Buddhist Directory, the Pew Research Center, Pacific Buddhist Academy, Honpa Hongwanji Hawaii Betsuin, Honolulu Magazine, and USA Today.
Start your day with a fresh perspective
Thank you for subscribing to Tricycle! As a nonprofit, we depend on readers like you to keep Buddhist teachings and practices widely available.