Buddhism in California:
- Estimated number of Buddhist centers: 444
- Portion of the population that identifies as Buddhist: 2%
- Year Chinese immigrants established America’s first Buddhist temple: 1853
- Metric tons of carbon dioxide emitted per year by each worker on San Francisco Zen Center’s Green Gulch Farm, compared with the national average of 20 metric tons per person: 4.19
- Segment of adults who meditate at least once a week: 41%
- Number of Tricycle subscribers: 3,201
Data from BuddhaNet’s World Buddhist Directory, the Pew Research Center, the Association of Religion Data Archives, and San Francisco Zen Center.
Start your day with a fresh perspective
Thank you for subscribing to Tricycle! As a nonprofit, we depend on readers like you to keep Buddhist teachings and practices widely available.