Climate Change and Pilgrimage Sites:
- Deaths in Bihar caused by the June 2019 heatwave: 184
- Percentage population growth in Bodhgaya from 1961 to 2001: 450%
- Cost of an 8-day Buddhist tour on the Mahaparinirvan Express: $1,155-$1,305
- World Bank funding for new visitor facilities in Sarnath, India: $13.5 million
- Percentage of India’s population projected to be exposed to extreme heat waves in 2100: 70% (up from 2% in 2020)
- Annual visitors to the Mahabodhi Temple in Bodhgaya, Bihar, India: 4 million
Data from India Today, Bihar Urban Development and Housing Department, Times of India, MIT News, IDN-InDepthNews, and Indian Railway Catering & Tourism Corporation Ltd.
Start your day with a fresh perspective
Thank you for subscribing to Tricycle! As a nonprofit, we depend on readers like you to keep Buddhist teachings and practices widely available.