Customer service and website support: firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-873-9871
Advertising inquiries: email@example.com
Foundation inquiries (including all contributions): firstname.lastname@example.org
Editorial and business inquiries: email@example.com
Subscribe to Tricycle: The Buddhist Review: tricycle.org/join
We accept article submissions on a rolling basis. While we can only consider submissions relating to Buddhism, however obliquely, we believe that there is a Buddhist approach to anything and everything. Also, please send work that reflects your knowledge and interests rather than trying to anticipate Tricycle’s. It might be helpful to browse our website to get a sense of our current content. We look forward to seeing your work.
For your submission to be considered, we ask that you first send us a one-page query outlining your idea, any relevant information about your Buddhist and writing background, your familiarity with the subject of your proposal, and so on. If you have clips or writing samples, please send these along with your proposal.
Due to the high volume of submissions, we are not currently accepting unsolicited poetry.
We prefer to receive short (fewer than 4,000 words), typed manuscripts. Please include a word count, as well as your name, address, and the date, in your query letter.
We accept submissions electronically only; we do not accept physical manuscripts. Send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We try to respond to all article submissions within one month. However, due to the large number that we receive each month, please don’t let a longer wait surprise you.
Thank you for your interest in Tricycle: The Buddhist Review.
The Web Editor is responsible for delivering content to Tricycle’s blog, Trike Daily, on a daily basis, as well as managing Tricycle’s social media presence and optimizing our online content per SEO best practices.
- Producing (writing or editing) contributions for the blog on a daily basis, which includes establishing relationships with writers, accepting and rejecting pitches and submissions, and assigning stories
- Overseeing blog production process: permissions/contributor contracts, image selection, budget, and schedule
- Occasionally spearheading separate editorial projects (ie, podcasts)
- Managing our social media accounts, which includes posting content as well as interacting with our users
- Participating in editorial meetings and pitching ideas
- Writing weekly roundup newsletter
Requirements and Personal Qualifications:
- At least 3 years of editing experience and a demonstrated ability to produce consistent high-quality work in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge and interest in Buddhism, Buddhist practice, and the American Buddhist landscape
- Working knowledge of HTML; background in Drupal or WordPress a plus
- Familiarity with SEO and best practices
- Familiarity with social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, Flipboard) and social media publishing systems
- MS Office literate (Excel and Word)
- Audio editing and Adobe Creative Suite skills a plus
- Experience working in a nonprofit environment a plus
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to execute on original and creative ideas
- Ability to multi-task
To apply, please send your résumé and a cover letter to email@example.com with “Web Editor” as the subject line.
Interns are responsible for supporting the editorial and web staff in order to ensure the development of high-quality digital and print content for Tricycle’s magazine and website. In addition, interns are encouraged to develop projects of their own under the guidance of a Tricycle staff member. Interns generally work 2–4 days per week for a term of three months at our New York office. This internship is paid.
- Find Daily Dharmas
- Edit Dharma Talk video transcripts
- Request review copies and assist in selecting excerpts for print and online
- Obtain permission from publishers for excerpts running in print and online
- Assist Web Editor in writing copy for social, primarily Twitter
- Assist Web Editor in social media scheduling
- Assist with the production of e-books
- Input video captions for social
- Assist Web Editor in keywording images
- Assist with online issue creation on a quarterly basis
- Claims files and other miscellaneous admin tasks
- Scouting for new contributors and teachers
- Participating in editorial and staff meetings and pitching ideas
- Contribute to Trike Daily
Tricycle accepts applications for its editorial internship on a rolling basis. Our yearly internship calendar is divided into three cycles: summer, fall, and spring. To apply, please send a cover letter that specifies any Buddhist or writing background, a résumé, and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Editorial Internship” in the subject line.