We’re hiring! The Tricycle Foundation, a not-for-profit organization, is the publisher of Tricycle: The Buddhist Review and its affiliated sites, tricycle.org and learn.tricycle.org. Through our magazine and digital offerings, including our podcast and online courses, we provide an expansive portal for the exploration of Buddhist thought and practice.
Tricycle is a small but dedicated team producing in-depth content that reaches across the Buddhist world and beyond. We welcome applications for consideration at any time from creative and highly motivated individuals with an interest in the Buddhist path. Please send your resume and cover letter describing your interest in Tricycle and how you see your role in furthering our mission to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Work at Tricycle.” We look forward to hearing from you!
We are actively seeking candidates for the following positions in our New York City–based office. All positions except for Editorial Intern are full-time.
(Fundraising) Development Manager
The Development Manager is responsible for the strategy and the implementation of the annual fundraising plan, including systems, infrastructure, donor stewardship, and the digital fundraising program.
- Supporting an organization-wide culture of philanthropy and appreciation
- Partnering with the Executive Director to establish short-term and long-term development plans, including the fundraising budget, calendar, and benchmarks to measure progress and success
- Implementing a moves-management protocol for all donors and prospects, including multiple touch points for donor engagement
- Supporting the Executive Director’s donor portfolio, including setting the annual schedule for calls and meetings, preparation of briefing materials including donor research, preparation of appropriate meeting collaterals, etc
- In partnership with Board members, developing and supporting their personal annual fundraising plans
- Conducting donor and funder prospect research
- Drafting proposals and reports for institutional funders, donors, and prospects
- Overseeing the digital fundraising program
- Supervising staff responsible for the donor database to ensure the integrity and accuracy of the recording, analysis, and reporting functions
Requirements and Personal Qualifications
- 3-4 years’ development experience
- Commitment to Tricycle’s mission and ability to articulate the case for support
- Experience with the diverse components of comprehensive fundraising planning and implementation
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, including juggling multiple tasks, adapting to shifting priorities, and meeting deadlines
- Experience with events management
- Superior writing and oral communications skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Experience with donor databases and other relevant technology; knowledge of Raiser’s Edge a plus.
- Commitment to confidentiality
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Development Manager” as the subject line.
Interns are responsible for supporting the editorial and web staff in order to ensure the development of high-quality digital and print content for Tricycle’s magazine and website. In addition, interns are encouraged to develop projects of their own under the guidance of a Tricycle staff member. Interns generally work 2–4 days per week for a term of three months at our New York office. This internship is paid.
- Select Daily Dharma extracts from our archives for daily newsletter
- Edit Dharma Talk video transcripts
- Request review copies and assist in selecting excerpts for print and online
- Obtain permission from publishers for excerpts running in print and online
- Assist Web Editor in writing copy for social, primarily Twitter
- Assist Web Editor in social media scheduling
- Assist with the production of e-books
- Input video captions for social
- Assist Web Editor in keywording images
- Assist with online issue creation on a quarterly basis
- Claims files and other miscellaneous admin tasks
- Scouting for new contributors and teachers
- Participating in editorial and staff meetings and pitching ideas
- Contribute to Trike Daily
Tricycle accepts applications for its editorial internship on a rolling basis.
To apply, please send a cover letter that specifies any Buddhist or writing background, a resume, and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Editorial Internship” as the subject line.