30 years of Tricycle
- Percentage of Americans who identified as Buddhist in 1990: 0.2%
- Percentage of Americans who identified as Buddhist in 2016: 1%
- Full-time Tricycle employees in 1991: 3
- Full-time Tricycle employees in 2021: 17
- Number of writers published by Tricycle in 1991 who were also published by Tricycle in 2021: 4
- Number of books by the Dalai Lama published as of 1991: 25
- Number of books by the Dalai Lama published as of 2021: 127
- Percentage of Americans who called religion “very important” to their life in 1992: 58%
- Percentage of Americans who called religion “very important” to their life in 2020: 48%
View past installments of Buddhism by the Numbers: Climate Change and Pilgrimage Sites, COVID-19, The Economics of Mindfulness, New York, Armenia, Hawaii, California, Virginia, Kentucky, South Korea, and the African Great Lakes Region.
Data from Gallup poll, Office of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Barry A. Kosmin, The National Survey of Religious Identification (NSRI) 1990, Pew Research Forum, and Tricycle archives
Start your day with a fresh perspective
Thank you for subscribing to Tricycle! As a nonprofit, we depend on readers like you to keep Buddhist teachings and practices widely available.