Buddhism in Oregon:
- Number of times a bell is rung to begin the annual Portland Buddhist Festival in Colonel Summers Park: 108
- Year Yangsi Rinpoche founded Maitripa College in Portland: 2005
- Year of Dalai Lama’s first visit: 2001
- Percentage of Buddhist Adults: <1%
- Number of Buddhist centers: 70
- Percentage of adults who meditate at least once a week: 39%
- Size of Bhod Khang, headquarters of the Northwest Tibetan Cultural Association in NE Portland: 17,000 sq. ft.
- Number of Tricycle subscribers: 798
View past installments of Buddhism by the Numbers: 30 Years of Tricycle, Climate Change and Pilgrimage Sites, COVID-19, The Economics of Mindfulness, New York, Armenia, Hawaii, California, Virginia, Kentucky, South Korea, and the African Great Lakes Region.
Data from BuddhaNet’s World Buddhist Directory, Portland Buddhist Festival, The Oregonian, Maitripa College, The New York Times, Pew Research Center, Northwest Dharma Association
Start your day with a fresh perspective
Thank you for subscribing to Tricycle! As a nonprofit, we depend on readers like you to keep Buddhist teachings and practices widely available.